Monday, March 12, 2012

Ginger and Almond Salmon


My dad just sent two packages of coho salmon from lake superior.  One was smoked and one was fresh.  The smoked is siting in the fridge waiting to be devoured, but the fresh needed to be served right away.  Fresh water coho salmon is a really delicate fish and a treat.  I have been having a lack of inspiration as of late, which means I cook a lot of the same things on repeat.  Being in Wisconsin I don't get fresh fish often, and when I do it just isn't that fresh.  However, when my dad sends fish it is always pristine. Normally I would broil this fish with lemon and butter, however my oven is broken.  Instead I chose to prepare the fish with a light breading of almonds, ginger, garlic, and panko breadcrumbs.  This was a nice "I wish it was spring" meal.

I served the fish with sauteed broccoli, locally grown oyster mushrooms, and sticky rice. 

 Toast 1/2 cup of almonds
To make the breading peal 1 inch of ginger and two garlic cloves. Combine garlic, ginger and almonds in food processor and pulse to get a course texture.  Add 1/2 cup of panko breadcrumbs and pulse a couple more times.  Take boneless fish fillets and dip in buttermilk.
Then dredge fish in ginger almond mixture.  Pan fry in olive oil, season as necessary.

Recipe
Serves 3
Cook for 3-4 minutes on each side with medium heat depending on thickness of fillet
  • 1 inch fresh ginger
  • 2 cloves garlic
  • Panko Breadcrumbs
  • 1 lb fresh fish fillets (I have made this with both Atlantic salmon and whitefish with excellent results) 
  • 4 oz raw almonds
  • 1/2 cup buttermilk
Enjoy!!

No comments:

Post a Comment